Tuesday 4 September 2012

"Chromat!"

In around April time I came across this image of a model wearing a really cool sculptural neckpiece and it really inspired me in my studio practice at Gray's. I could not for the life of me find the name of the designer and it has been killing me slowly inside ever since. Until yesterday I had a eureka moment! 'Why don't I just mail the model wearing it and ask?' So I did and within a few hours I had a reply with the name 'Chromat!'. 
I am in awe at every single one of their pieces. I say pieces because truly each structural cage design is such an art piece. Based in the US, the creator of the Brand Becca McCharen takes inspirations from architecture and scaffolding structures and creates these beautifully intricate exoskeleton undergarments. Her most recent collection I can really relate to, as she looks at disney characters, and for the Minnie Mouse inspired designs I can almost see the character deconstructed back to the initial sketched outline of the character. 
Disney Illustrations
Chromat Designs

Some of Chromat's designs are very exaggerated, aside from the cutesy feminine Disney inspired, and often resemble burlesque style. 

I just contacted Becca on Twitter and found out her new collection will be available for pre order in two weeks, which is very exciting! I will be taking a whole lot of overtime at work to make sure I can get my paws on something!

Aymee


1 comment: